lazy post. this is the cannes program, im unable to attend this year cuz i got nothing…nothing! for the posers that go to those stupid decadent parties at cannes (DAMN YOU VIJAY MALLAYYA! ARRRGGGHHHH!!! 🙂 ).
This is the list of wanna sees fromthis year the bolded ones.
- ANOTHER YEAR directed by Mike LEIGH
- BIUTIFUL directed by Alejandro GONZÁLEZ IÑÁRRITU
- COPIE CONFORME (CERTIFIED COPY) directed by Abbas KIAROSTAMI
- DES HOMMES ET DES DIEUX (OF GODS AND MEN) directed by Xavier BEAUVOIS
- FAIR GAME directed by Doug LIMAN
- HORS LA LOI (OUTSIDE OF THE LAW) directed by Rachid BOUCHAREB
- LA NOSTRA VITA (OUR LIFE) directed by Daniele LUCHETTI
- LA PRINCESSE DE MONTPENSIER (THE PRINCESS OF MONTPENSIER) directed by Bertrand TAVERNIER
- LUNG BOONMEE RALUEK CHAT (Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives) directed by Apichatpong WEERASETHAKUL
- OUTRAGE directed by Takeshi KITANO
- POETRY directed by LEE Chang-dong
- RIZHAO CHONGQING (CHONGQING BLUES) directed by WANG Xiaoshuai
- SCHASTYE MOE (MY JOY) directed by Sergei LOZNITSA
- SZELÍD TEREMTÉS – A FRANKENSTEIN TERV (TENDER SON – The Frankenstein Project) directed by Kornél MUNDRUCZÓ
- THE HOUSEMAID directed by IM Sangsoo
- TOURNÉE (ON TOUR) directed by Mathieu AMALRIC
- UN HOMME QUI CRIE (A screaming man) directed by Mahamat-Saleh HAROUN
- UTOMLYONNYE SOLNTSEM 2: PREDSTOYANIE (THE EXODUS – Burnt by the sun 2) directed by Nikita MIKHALKOV
Un certain regard
- AURORA directed by Cristi PUIU
- BLUE VALENTINE directed by Derek CIANFRANCE
- CARANCHO directed by Pablo TRAPERO
- CHATROOM directed by Hideo NAKATA
- FILM SOCIALISME directed by Jean-Luc GODARD
- HAHAHA directed by HONG Sangsoo
- HAI SHANG CHUAN QI (I WISH I KNEW) directed by JIA Zhangke
- LES AMOURS IMAGINAIRES (HEARTBEATS) directed by Xavier DOLAN
- LIFE, ABOVE ALL directed by Oliver SCHMITZ
- LOS LABIOS (THE LIPS) directed by SANTIAGO LOZA, Ivan FUND
- MARTI, DUPA CRACIUN (TUESDAY, AFTER CHRISTMAS) directed by Radu MUNTEAN
- O ESTRANHO CASO DE ANGÉLICA (THE STRANGE CASE OF ANGELICA) directed by Manoel DE OLIVEIRA
- OCTUBRE (OCTOBER) directed by Diego VEGA, Daniel VEGA
- PÁL ADRIENN (ADRIENN PÁL) directed by Ágnes KOCSIS
- R U THERE directed by David VERBEEK
- REBECCA H. ( RETURN TO THE DOGS) directed by Lodge KERRIGAN
- SIMON WERNER A DISPARU… (LIGHTS OUT) directed by Fabrice GOBERT
- UDAAN directed by Vikramaditya MOTWANE
- UNTER DIR DIE STADT (THE CITY BELOW) directed by Christoph HOCHHÄUSLER
Out of competition
- AUTOBIOGRAFIA LUI NICOLAE CEAUSESCU (The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceausescu) directed by Andrei UJICA
- CARLOS directed by Olivier ASSAYAS
- KABOOM directed by Gregg ARAKI
- L’AUTRE MONDE (BLACK HEAVEN) directed by Gilles MARCHAND
- ROBIN HOOD directed by Ridley SCOTT
- TAMARA DREWE directed by Stephen FREARS
- THE TREE directed by Julie BERTUCCELLI
- WALL STREET: MONEY NEVER SLEEPS directed by Oliver STONE
- YOU WILL MEET A TALL DARK STRANGER directed by Woody ALLEN
- 5 X FAVELA, POR NOS MESMOS (5 X FAVELA) directed by Wagner NOVAIS, Manaira CARNEIRO, Rodrigo FELHA, Cacau AMARAL, Luciano VIDIGAL, Cadu BARCELOS, Luciana BEZERRA
- ABEL directed by Diego LUNA
- CHANTRAPAS directed by Otar IOSSELIANI
- COUNTDOWN TO ZERO directed by Lucy WALKER
- DRAQUILA – L’ITALIA CHE TREMA (DRAQUILA – ITALY TREMBLES) directed by Sabina GUZZANTI
- GILLES JACOB, L’ ARPENTEUR DE LA CROISETTE (CITIZEN CANNES) directed by Serge LE PERON
- INSIDE JOB directed by Charles FERGUSON
- LA MEUTE (THE PACK) directed by Franck RICHARD
- NOSTALGIA DE LA LUZ (NOSTALGIA FOR THE LIGHT) directed by Patricio GUZMAN
- OVER YOUR CITIES GRASS WILL GROW directed by Sophie FIENNES
LA BATAILLE DU RAIL (The Battle of the Rails) (France, 1946, 82’) by René Clément, awarded the Jury Prize in 1946, restored by INA and Full Images, screened in the presence of Mrs. Johanna Clément.
BOUDU SAUVE DES EAUX (Boudu Saved from Drowning) by Jean Renoir (France, 85’, 1932), a restoration presented by Pathé in a never-before-seen version that includes scenes that were cut in the original. A Pathé restoration in association with the laboratries L’immagine Ritrovata (Bologne) and Digimage (Paris).
TRISTANA (Spain/France/Italy, 99’ 1970) by Luis Buñuel, selected in Cannes in 1970, shown as part of a celebration of Spanish cinema at the initiative of French Minister of Culture Frédéric Mitterrand, who has invited his Spanish counterpart and several contemporary Spanish artists. Copy preserved by the Filmoteca Espagnole. The film is presented by Pedro Almodovar.
IL GATTOPARDO (The Leopard) (Italy, 185’, 1963) by Luchino Visconti, winner of the Palme d’Or in 1963. Restored in association with Cineteca di Bologna, L’Immagine Ritrovata, The Film Foundation, Pathé, Fondation Jérôme Seydoux-Pathé, Twentieth Century Fox and Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia-Cineteca Nazionale. Restoration funding provided by Gucci and The Film Foundation. Digital Picture Restoration, Colorworks. Sound laboratory services, L’Immagine Ritrovata. Special Thanks to Martin Scorsese, Titanus and Giuseppe Rotunno.
DIE BLECHTROMMEL (The Tin Drum) (Germany, 164’) by Volker Schlöndorff, winner of the Palme d’Or in 1979, re-edited and presented by the director in a ‘Director’s cut’, remastered by Kinowelt.
KHANDAHAR (The Ruins) (India, 102’) directed in 1983 by Mrinal Sen, one of Indian cinema’s greats, present at the screening. Restoration by Reliance MediaWorks with the support of the Indian State and the National Film Archive of India.
LA CAMPAGNE DE CICERON (France, 111’, 1989) by Jacques Davila who passed away in 1991, in the presence of the film crew, who have come back for the occasion. Restoration presented by the Cinematheque of Toulouse with the support of the Groupama Gan Foundation for Cinema. The film will be re-released on DVD by Carlotta.
LA 317e SECTION (France, 94’), which won Best Screenplay in 1965; copy restored by the Cinematheque Française and StudioCanal with the support of the Franco-American Cultural Fund, in the presence of its director Pierre Schoendoerffer and the President of the Cinémathèque Costa-Gavras.
LE GRAND AMOUR (The Great Love) (France, 87’), in competition in Cannes in 1969, directed and presented by Pierre Etaix. Film Restored by Studio 37, the Technicolor Foundation for Cinema and the Fondation Groupama Gan for Cinema.
THE AFRICAN QUEEN (United States / United Kingdom, 105’, 1951) by John Huston. Print restored by Paramount Pictures and ITV, and sponsored by Angelica Huston.
AU PETIT BONHEUR (Happy Go Lucky) by Marcel L’Herbier (France, 102’, 1946). Print restored by the Archives Française du film (CNC) and StudioCanal.
PSYCHO (United States, 109’, 1960) by Alfred Hitchcock. Print restored by Universal Pictures and Audionamix. Please note that the film’s soundtrack has been restored/reconstructed.
KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN (United States / Brazil, 120’) by Hector Babenco, (Best actor – Cannes – 1985). Print restored by Ascent Media and Prime Focus, in the presence of the film crew for its 25th anniversary. The film will soon be re-released in France (Carlotta Films).