Its that time of the year and uncle ebert needs help.
There aren’t enough films to do ten of each in 2009.
Best films of 2009
3 Idiots : a thinking man’s comedy. VVC is truely a studio moghul.
99 : Raja sen writes better screenplays than film crit. Krishna and raj deserve the credit tho.
New York : Honest geo-politics never goes unpunished by critics.
Little Zizou : Dilshad patel must be the prettiest fat woman on the planet.
Sita Sings the blues : not bollywood but nina paley sure gets invited to many desi functions!
(I found five. make better movies and there’ll be more in next year’s list.)
2009 Bollywood what… the….fuck…was…that… films
1. Quick Gun Murugan: Intentionally WTFfy, but also unintentionally wtffy in many ways.
2. Luck by chance: like someone regurgitated guano as food-puke.
3. Paa : More like “what was the need for this?!” than “what the fuck… but then….same difference.
4. Luck: sort of defined “WTF”
5. Dilli 6: Monkey man sonam pegion onthe head wtf?!
6. Chandni Chowk to China: Don’t know whether to put this in he WTF category or to put it in spectacualar crash and burns of 2009(next category) but on the balance, its more WTFFy. Akshay kumar cry-crawled through it like he was om puri in a santhal-exploitation film.
7. Whats your Rashee: more like ….yeah…What Thuh Fuuu?!
Spectacular crash and burns of 2009
These are films which were either overhyped or came with a lot of expectations, but crashed and burned memorably (hey it doesn’t matter how you get publicity as long as you do)
1. Dev D : Assault on senses.
2. Kaminay: badly thought out, sloppily put together…left just tat danan in memory.
3.Billu Barber. Less said the better.
4.Firaaq : Let down because of Nandita Das’s resume. its an ordinary enough film, I just had bigger expectations from Das.
Films I didn’t see , confidently, knowing that I wasn’t missing much
1. London dreams
2.wake up sid
5.De Dana Dan
Little Sweet morsel of the year: Love aaj kal (only for the lalalala ho gayi re girl)
Special Kareena Kapoor award : Kambakkth Ishq(which I might not even have watched except that they sent ishita my way on the net).
Shhh! don’t even breathe a word about Dil Bole Hadippa, or Rani Mookharjee will make another film!!
Next: My Hollywood list.